US Literature Questions
According to Merriam-Webster, which of these controversial words is the oldest?
- Conversate 22
- Irregardless 37
- Firstly Correct 34
By number of copies sold, the best-selling novelist alive writes mainly in what genre?
- Romance Correct 67
- Legal thriller 32
- Fantasy 39
The adjective “lilliputian” comes from the works of what author?
- Voltaire 23,702
- Lewis Carroll 30,565
- Jonathan Swift Correct 70,322
In Greek mythology, who stared at his own reflection until he died?
- Narcissus Correct 267,304
- Icarus 27,115
- Apollo 17,505
What novel was written by an author who was mentored by both Emerson and Thoreau?
- Little Women Correct 13,828
- The Scarlet Letter 2,305
- The Grapes of Wrath 2,651
Which Shakespeare play does NOT solely consist of lines in verse?
- King John 5,121
- Richard II 6,284
- Troilus and Cressida Correct 6,769
Which of these is mentioned last in the King James Bible?
- Ten plagues of Egypt 52,516
- Three Wise Men Correct Savage 78,495
- Two Tablets of Stone 47,555
In which of these books are most of the male characters named after plants?
- The Outsiders 10,460
- Lord of the Flies 27,753
- Watership Down Correct Savage 17,196
In the famous line “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” what does its first word mean?
- Who 412
- Why Correct 1,534
- Where 4,251
The author of which best-selling book previously tried to have a singing career?
- The Da Vinci Code Correct 467
- The Firm 761
- Gone Girl 1,219
What nation’s capital is also the name of a key character in the “The Iliad”?
- France Correct Savage 34,223
- Germany 12,448
- Bulgaria 27,175